Having a low credit score leads to paying more for everything. The apartment complex may deny your application to rent with a low credit score. You don’t want to go through that rejection. Here are 20 ways to improve your credit score today.
1. Review Your Credit Reports
2. Get All Bill Payments Under Control
These five factors determine credit scores: – Payment history (35%) – Amounts owed (30%) – Length of credit history (15%) – Credit mix (10%) – New credit (10%)
3. Keep Credit Utilization 30% or Lower
4. Minimize Requests for New Credit as Well as “Hard” Inquiries
Your credit score takes a temporary dip when you apply for any new credit (personal loan, mortgage, or card). A hard inquiry will stay on your report for up to two years.
Creditors like to see long credit histories, so it's best not to close any accounts. One exception is if there are annual fees involved. You may want to close the account and apply for a new card with no fee instead.
7. Consider Debt Consolidation If you have several high-interest credit cards, you may consider a consolidation loan. You will save on interest and only have one payment each month. A consolidation loan is also known as a personal loan.